It’s been a while since I’ve published anything on phones and Android – I figured this is a good start to kick things off with 🙂
Earlier this month, new Android firmware leaked for the Samsung Galaxy S3, the same firmware that runs the S4 – 4.2.2
The guys over at SamMobile got their hands on the leaked firmware first and started cooking up something awesome for the S3.
They mention that the ROM isn’t 100% complete, with some camera improvements not being completed – but it’s a full functioning ROM that you can run on your S3 today.
Check out some of the improved features over the stock Galaxy S3 ROM:
New enhancements in Android 4.2.2 update
– Android 4.2.2 – Build ID: JDQ39
– New S4 Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, two Unlock effects (Ripple and Light), improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
– New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
– Driving mode
– Actionable notifications
– New Additions in Notification Center
– Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the S4)
– Addition of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
– Gallery modes have white background (When changing gallery modes to 3D the background changes to white)
– Full screen Samsung apps
– New S-Voice (from S4)
– New smart switch widget
– Found more? Tell us about them in the comments below!
– This firmware will increase your binary counter but the current binary and system status will remain official.
– We have re-packaged this firmware from dump files.
– There is no modem in this firmware, so the Modem you will be using before flashing this firmware will remain the same.
– This is a pre-release firmware and not official from Samsung.
– We have fully tested this firmware and this firmware works perfectly as any other official firmware.
Android Version: 4.2.2 – JDQ39 (Jelly Bean)
Region: Middle East
Build Date: 8 May 2013
– Unzip the file
– Open Odin 3.04 (already included in the firmware package)
– Restart phone in download mode (Press and hold Home + Power + Volume down buttons)
– Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
– Add I9300XXUFME3_I9300OJKFME1_HOME.tar.md5 to PDA
– Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
– Start flash, sit back and wait a few minutes.
– If you encounter any issues with the firmware (Any FC, Bootloop etc)
– Boot into recovery mode (Home+power+vol up)
– Choose to wipe/factory reset. (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA INCLUDING YOUR INTERNAL SD CARD!)
– Then choose reboot and you should be good to go!
I’ll definitely be giving this a go sometime this week 🙂
Screenshots and source are available at SamMobile.